For the Peach Filling:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Four 15 oz. cans drained peaches
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Zest from 1 medium lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
For the Topping:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Pre-made whipped cream topping
What to Do:
1. Prepare the fruit: Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease a 9×9 inch pan with cooking spray. Open and drain peaches. Wash the blueberries and place them in a medium bowl with peaches. Stir in the maple syrup or honey, flour, lemon zest, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice.
2. Prepare the topping: In a separate medium saucepan, heat the butter and coconut oil over medium heat until melted. Whisk in the brown sugar until blended. Continue by sprinkling in the oats, white wholewheat flour, cinnamon and salt. With a silicone spatula, fold to combine ingredients, stirring until moistened. Add the chopped pecans or walnuts. The mixture will be crumbly.
3. Assemble and bake: Stir the blueberry and peach mixture before transferring it to a baking dish, ensuring all juices from the bowl are included. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the blueberries and peaches.
4. Place the crisp in the oven to bake and cover with foil for the first 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 – 20 minutes until the topping is bubbly and light golden brown. Top with whipped cream and a mint leaf for garnish.
About Petite Cook Charlotte
With over 20 years of culinary experience, Petite Cook Charlotte has been cooking and creating dishes for company wellness programs, retreats, small business events and other community-based venues around the greater Charlotte area. Chef Yvette Kerns attributes her passion for the culinary arts to her diverse experiences that have lead her to where she is today. Visit petitecookcharlotte.com and follow @petitecookcharlotte for more brunch ideas and seasonal recipes.