Is there anything better than a fresh and flavorful scoop of hummus? Whether you’re dipping your favorite veggies or smoothing it onto a warm pita wedge, this rich and nutty chickpea dish makes for a great healthy snack or appetizer. And while you may be used to picking up a tub or two on your grocery store runs, Julia Kesler would argue that the best hummus is made from scratch. As a holistic chef and owner of Atlanta-based food company Stop Think Chew, Kesler’s recipes focus on using locally sourced good-for-you ingredients, and her ultra-creamy hummus recipe is no exception.
What You’ll Need:
• 1 cup chickpeas
• 1 cup tahini paste
• 1/2 cup chickpea water
• 1 clove of garlic (optional)
• 2 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. cumin
• 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
What To Do:
1. In a small pot, cook the chickpeas until they are extremely soft and begin breaking apart. If you are using canned chickpeas, recook them and add 1 tsp. of baking soda so they break down and become tender.
2. Once cooked, allow chickpeas to cool for 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
3. Combine cooked chickpeas, tahini, chickpea water, garlic, salt, cumin, and lemon juice in a food processor.
4. Blend for 1-2 minutes until ingredients are combined smoothly.
Tip: The key to smooth and creamy hummus is tender chickpeas and an equal ratio of chickpeas to tahini.
Meet Julia Kesler
Stop Think Chew is a food company and weekly meal prep service preparing custom, healthy meals for clients while using locally sourced ingredients in partnership with Atlanta’s urban farmers. Born in South Africa and raised in Georgia, founder Julia Kesler’s cross-continental background influences her cooking style and approach to food. Kesler serves on the Global Growers Network Board of Directors, a non-profit that serves experienced growers who come to Georgia as refugees and immigrants. Visit stopthinkchew.com and follow @stopthinkchew on Instagram for healthy food inspiration and recipes.
Explore our blog for more great food and drink recipes.