As we enter into the summer, and spend more time outdoors and at the cottage, take advantage of the quick and easy recipes below that will delight groups big and small. To have them handy at all times no matter where you go, print these recipe-favourites here.
Appetizer Bean Salad
- 1 can yellow beans
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can lima beans
- 1 can chick peas
- 1 cup green/red pepper
- 1 cup celery
- 2/3 cup white vinegar (preferably wine vinegar not balsamic)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add dressing to beans and mix well together. Then add 1 thinly sliced onion (red or white, but I prefer the red as it is sweeter).
- Refrigerate 24 hours and mix again once ready to serve. Will keep for up to 1 week.
Dessert: Pineapple Banana Loaf
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup undrained, crushed pineapple
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups canola oil
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 5 bananas)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Combine first 5 dry ingredients. Beat remaining ingredients together in a large bowl until blended.
- Add remaining dry ingredients, stirring until thoroughly combined. Spread in two greased pans, dividing evenly.
- Bake at 350°F for 60 – 70 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan, then remove rack and cool completely.
Tip: Stir 1 cup of chopped nuts into batter if desired.