It’s time to preheat your oven — holiday baking season has arrived. If you’re finding yourself feeling a little overwhelmed about what to bring to this year’s holiday cookie exchange, look no further than Chef Sous Chef’s Amaretti Cookies. Made with a few simple ingredients, this gluten-free and dairy-free Italian cookie is sure to be a Santa-approved crowd favourite.
What You’ll Need:
• 2 3/4 cups almond flour
• 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• 3 egg whites
• 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
• 1/3 cup icing sugar
• 1/4 cup sliced almonds
TIP: Make these cookies alcohol-free by replacing the amaretto with 2 teaspoons of pure almond extract.
What To Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the almond flour, 1 cup of granulated sugar and the salt in a small bowl, then set aside.
3. In a large bowl, use a whisk or hand beaters to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Pour in the amaretto and whisk until combined.
4. Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the egg whites, and use a spatula to gently fold into the mixture until it forms a dough.
5. Spread 1/3 cup of granulated sugar and the icing sugar on separate plates. Form the dough into 1” balls and roll in the granulated sugar until coated, then roll in the icing sugar. Place on the baking sheet, leaving at least 1” between each cookie. Press two to three almond slices into the center of each cookie.
6. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until the edges are just starting to brown.
7. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meet the Chefs
Chef Sous Chef is a food blog that encourages a love of being in the kitchen. Founders Philip and Mystique’s made-together approach and cooking style allow them to bring the dining out experience into your kitchen through moments and conversations had around the table. In addition to their Amaretti Cookies, you can find countless other recipes on their blog and in their upcoming cookbook, Eat With Us.