We interviewed Petie Parker, an Atlanta-based artist, muralist and curator whose latest work can be found at Empire Rental Living at Metro, our new community offering townhomes for rent in Atlanta.
When Petie Parker was asked to create a mural for our Rental Living at Metro leasing office, he accepted the challenge with open arms, bringing the community’s vision to life through his art. His work brings local gems to the forefront, helping our soon-to-be residents get a feel for life in this bustling neighborhood near Downtown, Adair Park, Castleberry Hills, Summerhill and Peoplestown.
1. Tell us about your start in the art world..
“I’ve been part of Atlanta’s art scene for over ten years. I first made a name for myself as the manager of a few notable artists, then in 2020, I became an artist myself.”
2. How did you become a mural artist?
“Because of my background as a manager, I was approached by a local law firm to find an artist to create a mural on the side of their building. That’s when I decided to take on the challenge myself, with no prior painting or mural experience.”
3. Tell us about your creative process, particularly in regards to the mural at Empire Rental Living at Metro. What was unique or challenging about the project?
“The overall concept was a challenge since my work primarily consists of portrait work. I also like using various shades of black to create backgrounds so this mural took me out of my comfort zone. I think it’s important to be challenged and uncomfortable from time to time, not just as an artist but as a person as well. It’s a great way to learn more about yourself and your potential.”
4. Are there any artists who inspire you? Any local ones in Atlanta?
“My mentor Miya Bailey (@miyabailey) is my biggest inspiration. Not only has he managed to become a millionaire from his work as an artist, but he also opened an influential Art & Design Community Center. I think that’s my main goal as an artist — to give back and inspire people.”
Get to Know Petie Parker
- The best part of living in Atlanta is… the opportunities to thrive as a creative.
- In 5 years I see myself… as a world traveling artist who’s able to sustain and thrive from my artwork.
- The most rewarding part of my job is… inspiring someone through my paintings.
- One thing people would be surprised to learn about me is… I just picked up a brush and started painting during Covid.
- When I’m not creating art you will find me… managing Peters St. Station Art & Design Community Center.
Guess what? We have new townhomes for rent in Atlanta, now available for lease at Empire Rental Living at Metro. Still deciding if renting is right for you? Discover 5 perks of renting a home with Empire Rental Living and 7 reasons to move to Atlanta.