Greenery is a great way to enhance your outdoor living area, whether you have a large backyard or a small patio. But what if you have limited outdoor space?
Fear not, because with a little creativity and some guidance, you can create the outdoor area of your dreams, even if you don’t have the square footage. We’ve rounded up our top gardening tips and tricks for small spaces so you can spruce up your outdoor area and patio of any size into an oasis.
1. Add a Variety of Greenery and Accessories
There are plenty of ways to add greenery and life to your outdoor area. A few include:
- Hanging Baskets: Hanging baskets are a great way to add interest to a balcony without taking up much space.
- Vertical planters: These planters are designed to hang on walls or railings and can hold various plants like herbs and flowers.
- Garden Art: Consider adding art to your balcony, such as a sculpture or wind chimes; this adds instant personality and style to your outdoor space.
- Potted plants/herbs: A few small pots of herbs or flowers can make a big difference in livening up a balcony. Plus, you can use the herbs or veggies in your cooking.
2. Purchase Plants That Thrive in the Shade
If you have a covered patio/balcony that doesn’t get much sun, you can still grow plants that thrive in low-light conditions. Some plants that do well in the shade include:
- Begonias: Ranging in size and colour, Begonias are ideal for adding vibrancy to a shady area.
- Hostas: These leafy plants come in a variety of shapes and sizes, adding texture and interest even in the shade.
- Impatiens: These colourful annuals are easy to grow and come in a wide range of shades, from soft pastels to vibrant hues.
- Ferns: Ferns come in many different varieties, from delicate fronds to bold and bushy plants. They add a lush, tropical feel to shaded spaces.
3. Invest in Potted Plants and Small Trees
Potted plants and small trees are great investment pieces that add dimension to your space. Here are some options to consider:
- Japanese maple: These beautiful trees come in many varieties, ideal for adding height and interest to any patio or balcony.
- Lavender: Lavender is a fragrant and hardy plant that does well in pots. It also adds colour and a fresh aroma to your outdoor space.
- Dwarf fruit trees: If you have enough sun and space in your home’s outdoor area, you can grow dwarf fruit trees in large pots. Some go-to options include citrus trees and dwarf apple trees.
- Succulents: Great for small spaces, succulents don’t require a lot of water or maintenance, making them perfect plants for those who don’t have a ton of time to water their greens on a daily basis.
Looking for some additional inspiration to create a beautiful outdoor space in a small area? Here are a few of the stunning homes in our communities that prove a little creativity, and some well-chosen plants and accessories can go a long way.
Next, discover the top five essentials for your backyard and learn how you can build a beautiful backyard.
Images courtesy of: GardenWorks (Hanging Baskets); Beyond Behnke’s (Begonias).